Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pre- Dad

My dad wants me to write his story.

A part of me has been holding back because it seemed almost like I was....well, like it was memorializing him and he's not dead so it felt weird.

But then I talked to him the other day and he reminded me he was going to be 70 this year and I figured, hell, that's almost dead. Probably better get started on his book.

We have talked about it before, the first time he mentioned it being shortly after Mom died. I had written a poem about her for the brochure thing they hand out at funerals and until then I'm not sure Dad really knew I'd fancied myself a writer.

I was going to begin his story at the beginning, and with a million notes taken from interviews. Trouble is-I work. Dad lives across town and did I mention I work constantly? Getting together to have an 'interview' didn't seem likely.

Then I thought about a phone interview since I call him nearly every morning on my way into work anyway. But that's just it. It's just a little check-in, how's things, love you kind of conversation and that's about it. We need more time.

But the other day an idea started floating around in my brain. I started thinking about all the things that reminded me about Dad and made a list. Just off the top of my head I had a page and a half of topics I wanted to write about. Dad's a colorful character-anyone that has met him would agree.

So that's what I've decided. I'm going to write little essays, snippets of memory that I have about my dad-mixed in with some of his story telling. I'm excited about the project. So, dear reader, if you are still into my blog-expect to get to know my dad.

Here is a sample of some of the things I'm going to write about:

Started smoking at 7
He was on America's Funniest Home Videos, lip syncing 'Too Many Fish in the Sea'
He made a commercial for AT&T
Been arrested-twice that I know of
I have 2 half sisters
He learned how to surf at 66 years old


This is gonna be good. Not a memorial-a tribute. An ongoing journey of Dad. Instead of 'shit my dad says', It'll be 'shit you wish you had the balls to do'.


1 comment:

  1. Anything about salmon and his favorite bar in Ballard? :)

    ReplyDelete