Monday, November 28, 2011

Anniversary

One of the greatest romances I've ever known was the one that created me.

My mom and dad met when she was a waitress and he was the cook at a diner downtown in the early 70s. I like to imagine that they flirted with each other over the line like a cheesy romantic comedy.

I've heard stories of how they would close the diner down, talking and laughing into the night. I've seen pictures of the two of them during that time. My favorite is one that was taken at Halloween. They were dressed in bunny suits and in the photo they are staring into each other's faces, beaming love.

I remember overhearing my dad and an aunt talking at mom's service. My aunt was telling him she'd always been so in awe of the love they'd had and that someday...she hoped I'd find the same.

I remember thinking I wouldn't find anything else.

Truth is, what my parents had was rare. It was a love that was so pure, obvious and true....and something they surrounded me in. Most importantly, it was theirs. Someday I'll find what I'm supposed to have and it will be pure. Obvious. And true.

No comments:

Post a Comment