Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dad Thoughts

My dad is the kind of guy that tells people, "I don't care" when they ask him how he's doing. I've seen a man shake his hand right after dad has informed him he's a dildo. I've seen him dance like a leprechaun with his hat turned sideways and his dentures shifting.

I've seen him cry. 

I've seen him scream and stumble and threaten and laugh crazily.

When I see a sweatshirt on a customer at work, if it says anything about Alaska, I tell him proudly that my father is a commercial fisherman. I talk about how I'd finally been able to visit Alaska just recently and that it was like no other place I'd been. That trip created a relationship with my dad that I'd never had before. We had been on our way to creating one, but that trip united us.

I didn't always like him and I'm pretty sure he didn't always like me.

Mom used to get pissed at the two of us, accused us of ganging up on her and it's only now that I can understand what she meant. When dad and I are hanging out together, we'll play off of each other. Especially when there are other people around-we like to show off our Extreme Wittiness.

I have an example of course.

Dad and I were in Alaska with family. We were at my Uncle's house, catching up and drinking beers. Some of the small talk included our plane ride into Alaska and who had dropped us at the airport. I turned to dad and said, "Oh yeah! She seemed nice.... Ya pokin' her?"  With a little twinkle in his eye Dad didn't hesitate his response, "Well, maybe on special occasions."

My dad is probably the coolest guy on the planet. I hope I'm half as cool as him when I'm almost 70.

Probably will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment