Friday, October 7, 2011

B-I-N-G-O

So I'm playing this virtual bingo game on facebook and I find myself remembering when I used to go to live bingo. You know, the one with people? I was getting into it. I could almost smell the stale cigarette smoke and hear the thunk of dobbers.

In the virtual game there is a little window on the side that acts as a chat room kind of thing. There are little buttons that you push so you don't have to take the time to actually type three letter encouragements like, 'WTG' and 'GL'.

Took me a few rounds before I realized that 'GL' meant 'good luck' instead of some weird element on the periodic table.

I was 3 cards deep and just staring a new game. I saw out of the corner of my eye that someone had actually tried communicating through this little window.

Janet B: i dont understand this game

Really?

It's Bingo. You click the number the computer tells you so eventually you can create some sort of blocky heart or capital Y before everyone else and 'win' money. Or in this particular case, pearls. It's not really difficult. I suppose one could get carpal tunnel syndrome from clicking on the numbers but it would have to be from some seriously excessive clicking.

I ignored Janet and got ready to begin my games. Once the numbers start going you can quickly lose track if you're playing too many cards. I'm currently able to keep up with 3 cards, but anymore and I have to scroll the screen and it's just too hard. I have my own problems Janet.

I was happily clicking my numbers when out of the corner of my eye I see Janet's plea.

Janet B: HELP

The capital letters insinuated she was in dire need of assistance. I immediately pictured Janet at her own computer, hunched over the keyboard, her brow knit in a confused furrow.  How do you click on B10? Why does the ball keep changing colors? Why does it say Bingo on the top of the screen? 

 Janet evidently hasn't had much experience with old people or summer camp. I hope this woman doesn't live alone. I bet she's the kind of person that believes her microwave is evil.

I went on to play my games, noticing no one in the chat room acknowledged poor Janet. I clicked away, amused.  I even won a couple of rounds and was given the title of High Priestess which I have to admit, sort of enjoyed.   Walked away with 679,000 virtual pearls and felt good about it. When the game was over and I'd gloated sufficiently-you know, to my cats-my mind went back to Janet.

I almost wish I knew her cause I wanna tell her what a dobber is.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lindsay. This blog made me laugh, a lot. I enjoy reading your blogs and have read them all. I too have a layer of "thickness" ever since my remaining grandparents passed away. I want to call my grandmother's phone number and tell the new person that is utilizing the number that it will never belong to them! It's crazy what comes to mind when our love hurts.

    ReplyDelete