Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Ugh, Society

I have a lot of opinions.

I like to voice them.

But I know how to do it without being a dick. This is why I would never succeed in politics.

I tried tuning things out for awhile. Once the whole Kim Davis thing happened, I was like, ok I'm done. Not even necessarily because of her opinion-though I strongly disagree-but because of the media attention it was receiving. It was frickin' everywhere and outdone only by Trump.

I tried to be uber positive and encouraged others to do the same with happy memes and good vibes. I saw a lot of other people on board but then...it was gone. Like when Dory and Marlin realize it's an angler fish and not just a pretty light, the good feeling was gone.

And then a kid got arrested for building a clock and the internet went apeshit.  There were a few good points brought up about how the situation was handled and I found myself getting all riled up before stepping back. I tried to focus on the feeling of pride I had when I saw people responding predominantly in kind. People like the president were saying, "hey kid, you're awesome." But it could't stop there of course because other people have opinions too.

Why can't we all just be happy? Why does it always have to be an argument? What the shit world? When did you become so pissy?

I think this is something that happens as you get older. You start to realize that the world can be cruel. You realize that life is indeed, not fair and terrible things are happening.

I sometimes wonder if all of this...ugly...was always there and it only seems more prevalent because of social media. When people record racial attacks instead of stepping in and trying to stop it or jump to conclusions about a science project...are we, as a society, that hungry for attention?

There are a lot of things I don't understand about people. Yet I'm still fascinated by them. I wonder what they will do next and brace myself for it. It could be a riot in the middle of the city because another black man was killed or a parade celebrating diversity.

The world may be unfair sometimes, but it's our world. We have to decide what we want to do with it.  My opinion? Just try to not be a dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment