Thursday, July 9, 2020

Red Caps

The restaurant was crowded. It always was at the conventions but it was one of the only places to eat so we waited. A booth cleared out and we staked our claim. I watched as the waitstaff hurried from table to table, exhausted and no longer smiling for tips. I watched food get delivered and orders taken as I scanned the room and then I saw it. A red cap in a sea of sci-fi costumes.

What the fuck?

I instantly became defensive. Why was someone wearing that hat here? This was a peaceful environment. A place for like minded individuals to gather and talk about all things near and nerdy to their hearts. That red cap didn't belong here.

I shared my disgust with my dining mates and they looked on, amused at my reaction. I couldn't help staring at the back of the cap, trying to imagine what kind of face they had. I watched as others surrounded him, seemingly enjoying his company and that made me angry too. So it wasn't just one of them, brave enough to wear a cap, it was a group.

How could anyone wearing that cap be here? I didn't understand and the longer I stared, the more I got upset.

And then he turned. And his cap said something else entirely. It wasn't one of those caps. I felt like a fool and properly chagrined. Here I was, behaving exactly as I'd assumed that person in the red cap would. Judgy, close minded...I quickly saw the lesson given to me.

Relaying the story later, a friend brought up an interesting point. Why wear a red cap that looks so similar with a 'positive' phrase when you know it's likely to be misinterpreted? I didn't know and I still don't. How does a symbol become so powerful?

I feel my lip curl in disgust when I see a bumper sticker blazing the name I cannot stand. I feel anger begin to rise inside when I see a flag, logo or tshirt stating support for someone my morals forbid me to. It's involuntary. I feel revulsion when I see a swastika, a Hitler salute, a white power hand gesture...it sickens me. And I think about that red cap with a positive message, hidden in a font associated with hatred and bigotry. It felt awkward.

Isn't it already awkward enough?


No comments:

Post a Comment