Thursday, February 2, 2012

Not That Much

I don't need to win the lottery. I mean, I wouldn't turn it away if a crap ton of money fell in my lap, but I don't need it.

I've often let myself wonder what it would be like to have a ridiculous amount of money. I think about the places I'd visit, the things I'd do for my family and friends, the people I could help.


The bill collectors call every day-today it was twelve times. The phone starts at 8:30 in the morning, just before my alarm goes off. It rings in my office while I'm working,and it rings when I get home and am eating dinner. At least I have a pleasant ring tone.

I finally sat down today and added up how much I am in debt.

$7200.

I'm kind of ok with it.

I thought it was so much more than that. Of course....that number doesn't include rent, food, quarters for laundry-each roll is a ten spot you know. Now we're up to....

$8220.

Still not as high as I thought it was. The numbers seem so much bigger in my head. I feel  like I owe a kidney, my first born, an arm AND a leg-not a dollar amount that equals under ten grand.

Strangely this number brings me comfort. Now I know how much I owe. I don't even have one hundredth of it, but I might someday. It seems feasible today.

No comments:

Post a Comment